The bristle brush as barbecue hazard

From the New York Times Well blog:

Beware the barbecue brush this season.

A new report has documented six cases of people accidentally swallowing wire bristles from grill-cleaning brushes while eating food cooked on a grill. In each of the cases, the metal bristles apparently became lodged in the grill, then were embedded in steaks and burgers that were served to people who quickly got sick and had to be hospitalized.

Wire bristles are not typically something backyard chefs are thinking about when they heat up their grills. But a small number of similar cases have been reported in the medical literature in recent years, and the authors of the new report are urging people to be mindful that wire bristles can easily get caught on grills and pose a serious hazard. In almost all of the cases, the patients were eating burgers, steaks or some other meat that had been cooked on a grill that was recently cleaned or scraped with a wire brush.

“It’s always been meat so far,” said Dr. David Grand, the author of the new report and a radiologist in the diagnostic imaging department at Rhode Island Hospital. All of the cases were handled at that hospital and reported in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Read the complete post here.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s